Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority
The Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority was created by 2010 legislation --Title 67, Chapter 12, Code of Virginia. The mission of the Authority is to facilitate, coordinate, and support development of the offshore wind energy industry, offshore wind energy projects, and supply chain vendors by:
- Collecting metocean and environmental data.
- Identifying regulatory and administrative barriers.
- Working with local, state, and federal government agencies to upgrade port and logistic facilities and sites.
- Ensuring development is compatible with other ocean uses and avian/marine wildlife.
- Recommending ways to encourage and expedite offshore wind industry development.
ENABLING LEGISLATION: Title 67, Chapter 12, Code of VA
Bob Matthias, Chair
Assistant to the City Manager
Virginia Beach City Manager's Office
Joan Bondareff, Vice-Chair
The SPECTRUM Group
Senior Vice President
Alternative Energy Solutions
Dominion Resources, Inc.
Douglas L. Faulkner
Energy Consultant and President
Arthur Moye, Jr.
Virginia Maritime Association
Paragon Asset Group, LLC
Chancellor, Professor of Law, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
William & Mary Law School
View VOWDA public meeting Notices, Agendas, and Minutes.
VA Regulatory Structure
- Commercial Lease of Submerged Lands for Renewable Energy Development on the Outer Continental Shelf, January 2014
- Dominion VOWTAP update, November 2013,
- North American Right Whales and Offshore Wind Site Assessment & Characterization: An Agreement for the Mid-Atlantic, November 2013
- VOWDA Annual Report, October 2013
- Virginia Offshore Wind Technology Advancement Project VOWDA Update, July 2013
- Summary of Virginia offshore research activities and resources (DMME), May 2013
- U.S. Offshore Wind: Targeted State Investment Policies will put an Abundant Renewable Resource within Reach (NRDC), May 2013
- Coastal and Ocean Mapping Portals for Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic (VCZMP), May 2013
- Dominion VOWTAP update, March 2013
- State-funded Offshore Wind Research Activities, March 2013
- Voluntary Agreement to Protect Endangered Right Whales, December 2012
- Reducing Ship Strikes to North Atlantic Right Whales
- Virginia Offshore Wind Technology Advanced Project (Dominion), January 2013
- Mid-Atlantic Wind - Overcoming the Challenges (PERI), January 2013
- Overview of Planned Regional Geological Survey of Wind Energy Area off Virginia Coast (Fugro), January 2013
- Baseline Studies on the Mid-Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf (HiDef), January 2013
- VOWDA Annual Report, October 2012
- Offshore Wind Integration Studies at PJM, September 2012
- Virginia Offshore Wind Advanced Technology Demonstration Site Development, Draft Final Report, August 2012
- Offshore Foundation Substructures Report, Virginia Center for Wind Energy, August 2012
- Support Mechanisms and Policy Options Report, Virginia Center for Wind Energy, August 2012
- Offshore Wind Advanced Technology Demonstration Site Development: An Interim Briefing to VOWDA, February 2012
- Virginia Offshore Wind Advanced Technology Demonstration Project and Test Pad Sites: A Briefing to VOWDA, December 2011
- Notes and Presentation from HRSD QST Meeting, December 2011
- VOWDA Annual Report, October 2011
- Meteorological Tower Placement Report to the Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority, December 2010
- Dominion Offshore Wind Integration Study, November 2010
- Meteorological Tower Placement Report to the Virginia Offshore Wind Development Authority (Draft), October 2011
- VOWDA Transmission Recommendations Report to Gov. McDonnell, May 2011
- Virginia Offshore Wind Studies, July 2007 to March 2010 – Final Report, Virginia Coastal Energy Research Consortium, April 2010
- 03-2013 letter to VA U.S. Senators - OSW ITC
- 03-2013 letter to VA U.S. Congressmen - OSW ITC
- 11-2012 letter to Gov - VOW Legislation Funding Request
- 02-2012 letter to BOEM - AWC RFCI
- 01-2012 letter to BOEM - OSW Auction Format Info Request
- 10-2011 letter to U.S. VA Senators - OSW ITC
- 10-2011 letter to VA U.S. Congressmen - OSW ITC
- 08-2011 letter to BOEM - Commercial Wind Lease Draft EIS
- 03-2011 letter to BOEM - VA Call Request