- June 25-29 JMU Wind Energy Content Teaching Academy
- June 18-19 – Small Wind Installers Conference
- June 15 – Renewable Fuels Showcase, JMU
- June 8- WVPT Children's Book Festival
- May 9 - WPA All-States Summit, Chicago
- May 5-8 – AWEA WindPower 2013, Chicago
Wind News in the Region
- James Madison University Selected to Compete in Inaugural DOE National Collegiate Wind Competition
- Middle School Students Compete in 2nd Annual PA KidWind Challenge
- Milestone Cleared for Wind Energy Research Lease Offshore Virginia
- Wind Application Center Valuable Resource for Wind for Schools Partners
- US DOE Wind Program Initiates Inaugural National Collegiate Wind Competition
- Wind for Schools: 124 Installations and Counting
Learn About Wind Power
We have compiled this list of resources to help you further your knowledge on wind power.
Wind Energy Information
- American Wind Energy Association
This trade association is made up of all the players within the wind industry, including project developers, parts, service, and equipment suppliers, utilities, researchers, and others who fight for wind power.
- National Wind Coordinating Committee
Their central purpose is to support the development of a commercial market for wind power that is environmentally, politically, and economically sustainable.
- Wind Powering America
The U.S. Department of Energy created this program to increase the use of wind energy in the U.S. Their website has information about the program itself, as well as detailed information for each state.
- Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy
The division of energy within the DMME has provided support to VWEC to help develop wind energy within the state of Virginia.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
NREL partnered with JMU and VWEC to develop several state programs. They also research and conduct experiments on several wind power topics.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
The EERE is part of the DOE and helped plan the Wind Powering America program as well as establishing several state programs with VWEC.
- IREC Small Wind Energy Newsletter
- Community Wind Financing, (PDF) (original URL)
- Economic Development for Rural Communities, (PDF) (original URL)
- NPR Report on Small Wind Energy Workshop, aired on radio 3-12-04
- "The Master of Wind" Newsweek article by Brad Stone; Published 20 Sept 2004
Teaching Resources at James Madison University
- CISAT Hybrid Electric Plant & CISAT Solar Electric Plant: View information on the wind-solar hybrid electric system and photovoltaic system housed at the College of Integrated Science and Technology at James Madison University.
- Wind Energy Webquest: An interactive educational tool on renewable and non-renewable energy sources for classroom use.
For information about wind turbines visit these websites of various manufacturers.